Tuesday 21 August 2007

oh, new phone?




Do new phones interest people in the way that they have in the past or has the fact that we have been constantly bombarded by new technologies desensitised us to caring about a greater battery life or better camera, for example?

I feel this is all down to the individual. What do you want a phone to be? Below I've tried to stereotype these different wants, based on talking to a number of different friends:




  • THE ULTRA CONSERVATIVE: "I just use it to make calls, if and when its an emergency, its there if I need it." - this group by nature is the anti pole of individualism. eg. my mum. although she is bordering on...


  • THE CONSERVATIVE / TRADITIONALIST: " I just want a phone that is quick and easy to make calls and send texts"


  • THE CORE: "I like the different aspects of the phone but i don't always use them for a range of different reasons" or "I dislike the different aspects of the phone but I always use them for a range of different reasons"


  • LIBERAL: "I like the new things that phones are capable of doing and want to be part of it. If there's a new phone that I like the look of, and I can afford it, I will more than likely get it... unless something better comes along"


  • I WANT IT. I WANT IT. I WANT IT: "Oh the iPhone... got it and love it!"

What do I want from a phone?


To those of you that may be aware, there is a new phone on the market. Is this an instant turn off? Well to me, no. New phones excite me and I'm always more than happy to hear what they can do. I have been given an O2 Cocoon at work as part of a campaign we are running. So I was already aware of the phones spec and how it looked. I have been using it now for nearly 3 weeks, and have lots to say about it.

  • Simplicity: It is very simple to use. The menu is easy to understand and I can find what I want to do easily. However, as others have said before myself the manual needs work, see John Dodds 'Simplexity'. To me, being able to use a phone by picking it up is second nature, this phone is definitely marketed towards those who fit towards the Liberal end of my spectrum.

  • Coolness: Whats cool today is not tomorrow. That's because phone's, despite trying so desperately to be unique, still appear very similar. This phone has definitely gained its cool points from stretching that paradigm. I wouldn't expect it to fit into the same category as the iPod, but I see a lot of its potential buyers to want that individuality which many consumers crave. This phone does not try to be slim and the buttons are huge!! This borders on actually helping me use the thing.

  • Couple of Tricks: Not to many, but what it can do subtlety impresses... without rubbing it in your face. Firstly, the already over talked about alarm-clock functionality. Admittedly this is brilliant! Enough said. Secondly, the dual ear phone socket. So simple, but shows a bit of care from O2. Thirdly, camera light. How many times on previous phones have i come to on a Saturday to delete unrecognizable pictures on my phone.... And finally being able to preview a message as it arrives = too cool for school!

There are many different opinions on the phone and how it is being marketed. I have included some of my favourites below, but for more go to the Cocoon Blog

Faris tells us what happened when he took his phone to the O2

http://farisyakob.typepad.com/blog/2007/08/cocoon.html

John Dodds covers the 'Simplexity' issue

http://makemarketinghistory.blogspot.com/2007/08/simplexity_17.html#links

Tom's views 1-week on

http://www.tomhume.org/2007/07/cocoon-1-week-o.html

This phone was launched with key influential bloggers before any advertising hit. It's early days, but very interesting to see a company such as O2 engage, and really listen, to grassroot voices.


No comments: